I guess on your Android phone you may have WhatsApp, the most popular instant messaging app in the world nowadays. Almost everyday you run WhatsApp to chat or share photos with friends freely, and gradually you have more and more messages that mean a lot to you. Therefore, it is wise for you to back them up to avoid future loss.
As such, here we sum up three ways to save WhatsApp messages on Android phone. You can backup WhatsApp conversations on Android with the app’s built-in backup feature, or you can export whatsapp messages from Android to Google Drive. Ultimately, you may use a third party WhatsApp backup tool to backup WhatsApp chats on Android to computer.
Method 1: WhatsApp built-in feature for Android WhatsApp backup
WhatsApp automatically backups at 4am every day, and your conversations will be stored in your Android phone’s internal memory/SD card. Or you can create a backup manually by the following steps:
1. Run the application.
2. Tap the Menu Button (three vertical dots on the top-right).
3. Tap Settings, and chose Chat Settings.
4. Tap Chat Backup, and hit Back Up.
5. Now your conversations is saved successfully. The backup file will be stored as "msgstore.db.crypt12" in your phone's /WhatsApp/Databases folder.
If you want to restore WhatsApp messages on Android, you need to uninstall the app and reinstall a new one. Then sign in the newly installed WhatsApp, tap Restore when asked. If you want to restore a less recent local backup, you will need to do the following steps before reinstalling the app:
1. In your phone’s file manager, navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. If your data is not stored on the SD card, you may see internal storage.
2. Rename the backup file you wish to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12. (Your earlier backup may have been on an earlier protocol, such as crypt9 or crypt10. Do not change the number of the crypt extension.)
Method 2: Backup WhatsApp messages from Android to Google Drive
If you have a Google Drive account, then it will be easy for you to export WhatsApp messages on Android to Google Drive. Here are the guides:
1. Run WhatsApp.
2. Go to Menu Button (three vertical dots on the top-right) > Settings > Chat Settings > Chat backup.
3. Tap Back up to Google Drive and choose the backup frequency, or tap Back Up to export your messages to Google Drive immediately.
4. You will be prompted to select a Google account to save your messages. If your account does not appear on the Choose an account list, tap Add Account when prompted.
1. Every time you create a backup with your Google Drive account, the previous Google Drive backup will be overwritten by new backup files.
2. Tap Back Up Over to choose the network used for backup. As backing up over cellular network may cause extra data charges, we recommend you to backup over WiFi.
Method 3: Backup WhatsApp conversations with Android WhatsApp Backup Tool
Think that both the methods mentioned above are inefficient? Look for an easier but professional way to save WhatsApp chat history on Android? Then what you need is a one-click WhatsApp Backup Tool for Android.
This kind of third party backup tool not only can help you backup WhatsApp messages on Android to pc with a single mouse-click, but also enable you to preview all the messages on your computer and then you can choose to backup all the conversations or just a specific part of them. Here recommend you some professional tools:
- Jihosoft WhatsMate (Backup FREE)
- Backuptrans Android WhatsApp Transfer
- Backup for Whats
Note: Please enable USB debugging on your Android device when connect to computer.